top of page

Dealing With Emergency Electrical Problems

Getting an electric shock is, shall we say, shocking. In some cases, it can even be life-threatening. Some of the possible electrical shock symptoms include severe burns, unconsciousness, muscle contractions or pain, irregular breathing or heartbeat, and seizures.

If you're experiencing an electrical emergency and you suspect someone got shocked, here are some steps to help you provide initial treatment.

Turn Off The Power - Take care not to touch the person if they're in direct contact with any electricity. Instead, make every attempt to cut the surging power to their person by unplugging the appliance involved in the accident.

For your safety, never touch someone experiencing an electrical shock without confirming the power is off. Otherwise, there's a chance you could get shocked, too.

Call 911 - The sooner you can get trained responders on the scene, the better. The emergency operator will likely remind you to check the power source to make sure it's off. They will also gather information to dispatch emergency responders to your location as quickly as possible.

Administer Basic Care Until Help Arrives - Once you've determined it's safe to touch the victim, check their vital signs to ensure they have a pulse and are breathing. If they aren't breathing or have a pulse, begin administering CPR to revive them. Check for other injuries, such as bleeding. To avoid blood loss, elevate the affected area, and apply pressure to the wound until paramedics arrive to provide care and transportation to the hospital.

How To Prevent Electrical Shocks

The most direct way to avoid the potential for electrical shocks is by checking for obvious hazards. Frayed wires, electrical cords, and charred or burned outlets could pose a threat to cause an electrical shock.

An electrician in Rockwall can help make needed repairs and upgrades to get your home up to speed quickly.

Everyday situations that could potentially lead to electrocution or electrical shock inside your home include:

  • Faulty, old, or deteriorated wiring

  • Outlets installed too close to water sources

  • Faulty appliances

  • Downed powerlines

  • Lightning strikes

Regrettably, many people live in homes with faulty wiring, damaged appliances, and the unsafe use of extension cords.

For added safety, never use electrical products in or around swimming pools, bathtubs, the shower or sink. By doing so, you're removing the potential for accidental electrocution that has nothing to do with the condition of your home's electrical system.

Call The Experts At Rockwall Electric

All steps you take to avoid problems, repair, remove or make upgrades to your home's electrical system help prevent electric shock and electrocution tragedies occurring.

If you're aware of an electrical problem in your home and need immediate assistance in Rockwall, Texas, contact Rockwall Electric professionals for fast, friendly services.


bottom of page